Production of Sound Recordings
- Music recordings
- for demo or CD master
- mixing in mono, stereo or surround formats
Specialist in capturing all forms of ‘live” performance
- voice and choral recordings
- Guitars. Acoustic and electric and different overdrive sounds (I have it taped!)
- pianos and organs
- wind instruments
- bass sounds
- drums and percussion sounds
Genres of music:
- Symphony orchestra
- classical ensembles
- jazz (Paulo Fresu, Italy, Robbie Janssen)
- indie (C-Weed 1)
- Zulu ethnic styles (Maskandi, Umbaqanga, Mqashio, Imbube, Marabi, Afro Jazz),
- various Indian folk, classical and contemporary styles, Chutney, Bangara, (e.g. Ramesh Hassan, Seggei Kiston) and
- World music( Busi Mhlongo, Madala Kunene, Amapondo)
- Radio commercials and jingles. Tap into my network of voice artists (all local languages), composers, instrumentalists and singers. Famous and soulful artists galore! Being a musician at heart and having been a player of several instruments, I know how it should sound, but also who does it right, and I employ the real professionals only! Original producer of synthesised and sampled sounds using MIDI protocol, the production starts with a beat track...
- On Location Sound Recording. Feel free to discuss your requirements. Given the required set-up time and conditions, I do it with awesome results, from live concerts though film dialog to wild-life sounds every time.
Studios: Choose to work at any of the following:
- SABC M1, Durban. Its huge air-conditioned auditorium has great acoustics for vocal ensembles, jazz groups or larger groups where big room acoustics is called for. It offers good monitors and ProTools HD recording platform.
- Andiamo Studio, Umhlanga Rocks http://www.myspace.com/andiamosound , is well appointed and a good place to make corporate clients feel relaxed, great for recording commercials, voice overs, smaller groups, tracking and with its superior selection of plug-ins, great for mastering. Good monitors too. ProTools HD.
- Any other studio of your choice running ProTools.
- Location work where I use portable equipment to capture and Andiamo for post production. 48 track recording possible using Presonus front end, running Cubase on laptop computer
Our projects (some highlights):
- 1994 Rugby World Club CD, “Anthems”, featuring Ladysmith Black Mambazo with “Sosholoza”, then with PJ Powers in “World in Union” and also “Swing Low” for producer, Charlie Skarbeck (UK).
- Recording of the Grammy Award winning album of Ladysmith Black Mambazo’s “Lift your Spirits Higher”. Best World Music Album, 2004, playhouse 2003.
- All Durban recordings for Busi Mhlongo’s groundbreaking album, “Urban Zulu” for M.E.L.T. 2000 label. DB Studios 1996.
- Capitol Radio’s “Afritude” station jingles. DB Studios 1993.
- Recording of C-Weed album featuring 18 different bands on the Durban alternative music scene. DB Studios 1996.
- Recording of the soundtrack for Paulo Fresu (Italy) DVD called, “Zulu meets Jazz”.
- Drakensberg Boys’ Choir, Glee Choir Yale University, USA. Playhouse 2008.
- Capture film sound for the award winning “My Black Little Heart”. 2008.
- Sound recording for cinematic and video commercials for Synergy Group, Whalley and Associates, Matthews and Charter, Red Pepper Productions and Ogilvie amongst others.
2005 Grammy Award Winning CD
"Raise Your Spirit Higher"